SR. Systems Engineer (Unix/Linux) Job
Apply now »
Location: Dallas, TX, US
Job Title: SR. Systems Engineer (Unix/Linux)
Job ID: 17774
Location: Dallas,TX, US
About the Opportunity
A. Basic Function:
The Senior UNIX Administrator will provide technical leadership for the UNIX system administration team reporting to the UNIX Manager. He/she will directly support the business by contributing in the areas of IT systems architecture and infrastructure design.
The Senior UNIX Administrator is responsible for the design, planning and maintenance of UNIX infrastructure systems and storage area networks. These include over 1,000 UNIX and Linux servers, the production backup infrastructure, DNS, greater than 2 petabytes of disk storage, hundreds of application services, core infrastructure services, disaster recovery operations, security and interoperation with Windows, Networking and remote systems.
The Senior UNIX Administrator will promote our clients capabilities as appropriate, advancing our clients products and services. He/she will also work to leverage, integrate, and provide core services to high performance computing and storage resources as appropriate to enhance the performance, capabilities, and usability of systems at Abacus.
B. Key Accountabilities
- Leads technical projects that are focused on introduction of new infrastructure and also have software application engineering implications.
- Provide company level productivity through stable UNIX and Linux hardware and software
- Provide adherence to data retention requirements through consistent and reliable backup infrastructure
- Ensure that all changes to UNIX and Linux production environment adhere to established Change Management policies and procedures
- Responsible for ensuring adherence to security policies, including regular security updates to UNIX and Linux systems.
- System uptime and stability
- Innovative and cost effective UNIX and Linux solutions
- Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Primary technology skills must include: Sun Solaris operating systems 2.10 through current (both Solaris and x86), RedHat Linux (verisions 4-6), knowledge of Oracle RAC running on RedHat, Oracle Enterprise Linux, extensive knowledge of Bind (DNS) and Sendmail, Sitescope, Veritas Storage Foundation Suite, VMware ESX experience managing guests
Project Management, Resource Management and Budgeting.
Design and Architecture using industry best practice solutions that meet the need of the business.
Demonstrated systems integration expertise. Successfully negotiates technical design and deployment strategy.
Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions that are highly innovative and ingenious. Leads efforts to define, plan and design innovative solutions, including financial analysis of technical alternatives to meet business requirements.
Serves as the cross-platform technical subject matter expert and provides coordination and consulting support. Leads technical projects that are focused on introduction of new infrastructure and also have software application engineering implications. Establishes criteria and performs technology evaluations, including lab analysis and proof of concept along with supporting analysis and documentation. Frequently interacts with vendors to influence their products and services. Responsible for briefing Sr. Management on topics ranging from risk analysis, financial implications, to crisis management.
- Advanced verbal, written, and presentation skills — particularly the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of technical and managerial personnel to solve complex problems.
- Experience working in a multi-business unit company environment.
- Excellent selection, appraisal, and development skills.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels (staff, management, and customers) across diverse cultures. Strong customer, quality, and results orientation.
- Ability to be an effective team member and proven track record of leading complex development and project teams.
- Design, deploy, monitor, maintain, develop, upgrade, and support new UNIX and Linux systems; hardware, software, and peripherals, including storage area networks and backup infrastructure.
- Provide end-user services escalation requiring UNIX administrative assistance for CIT help desk services where necessary.
- Keep current with the latest technologies.
- Practice asset management for UNIX and Linux hardware, software, and equipment, and ensure that asset management policies are adhered to by the team.
- Recognized expert technical knowledge of UNIX and Linux operating systems.
- Recognized expert technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong understanding of project managements principles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- 12 or more years of system administration experience on UNIX platforms.
- 6 or more years of progressive IT project/program management experience.
- On-call availability.
- Travel required: infrequent
- Telecommute: minimal